The BS in Healthcare Administration program prepares students to enter the healthcare field as entry-level healthcare management practitioners. Upon graduation, students are prepared to seek employment in the healthcare field in a variety of settings including, but not limited to hospitals, physician practices, nursing homes, public health institutions, insurance companies, and consulting firms. Students pursue study in a series of well rounded, yet focused healthcare administration courses that include key aspects of business, systems, research, leadership, and relationships with colleagues and consumers across the healthcare spectrum. The healthcare faculty create educational experiences that bring students the knowledge and skills needed to prepare them for employment in the multi-faceted healthcare field.
Admission to the Major
Any undergraduate student can declare the healthcare administration major, provided the student has an overall GPA of 2.5.
The healthcare studies faculty has a professional responsibility to deny admission or continuation in any of its undergraduate or graduate programs to any student whose level of performance and/or personal characteristics or dispositions do not adequately meet academic, professional, or ethical standards.
Undergraduate students in the Healthcare Administration program pursue a Bachelor of Science degree, and must complete its requirements.
Students must achieve a grade of "C" or higher in each required healthcare administration course (A grade of "C-" does not meet this requirement.).
General Education Requirements (44 credits)
Healthcare Administration Pre-Requisite Courses (12 credits)
- Elementary Statistics (MTH 243 or equivalent)*
- Intro to Financial Accounting (ACC 281 or equivalent)
- Intro to Managerial Accounting (ACC 282 or equivalent)
*denotes courses that meet both major and general education requirements
Major Departmental Requirements (55 credits)
Required Healthcare Administration Core
- HCS 418 Statistics for Healthcare Professions
- HCS 419 Managerial Epidemiology
- HCS 310 Healthcare Systems
- HCS 417 Law in Healthcare Practice
- HCS 211 Professionalism for Healthcare
- HCS 311 Technical Skills for Health Professionals
- HCS 312 Organizational Behavior in Healthcare
- HCS 302 Survey Clinical & Administrative Information Systems
- HCS 313 Quality Management in Healthcare
- HCS 465 Human Resource Management for Healthcare
- HCS 415 Financial Management in Healthcare
- HCS 317 Healthcare Ethics
- HCS 416 Insurance and Managed Care
- HCS 464 Operations Management in Healthcare
- HCS 420 Research Methods in Healthcare
- HCS 496 Management Internship
*Internship Pre-Requisites: All 3 pre-requisite courses, and all required course work with a grade of "C" or higher must be completed, and an overall GPA of 2.5.
*Choose two from the list below
- HCS 230 Medical Terminology for Health Professionals
- HCS 335 Healthcare Marketing
- HCS 337 Healthcare Policy
- HCS 338 Group Practice Management
- HCS 340 Healthcare Leadership
- HCS 425 Long Term Care/Nursing Home Management
- HCS 426 Legal & Regulatory Issues for Long Term Care
- HCS 436 Economics for Healthcare Managers
Electives (9 credits)
Total Credits (120 credits)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Healthcare Administration major, students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of the healthcare system.
- Communicate clearly with individuals and groups.
- Apply critical thinking skills to deliver written and oral communication.
- Demonstrate accountability behaviors in the healthcare environment.
- Apply effective leadership and management skills.
- Apply financial skills to the creation of sustainable healthcare programming and service lines.
- Apply business principles, including systems thinking, to the healthcare environment.
- Demonstrate the use of information systems, particularly electronic health records.
- Behave in accordance with ethical and professional standards.