Designed for individuals seeking to become a NY State certified teacher for the first time. Leads to certification in the following three areas: English grades 7-12, English grades 5 and 6, and Students with Disabilities Generalist (special education) grades 7-12. Leads to both initial and professional certification.
Admission to the Program
The application process is managed by the Center for Graduate Studies. Applicants must present:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- An academic major in the program discipline or equivalent (minimum 30 credits in the discipline).
- Statement of objectives
- Three letters of reference
- GRE or MAT exam scores
- SUNY has adopted a new admission requirement for initial certification teacher preparation programs effective fall 2015. Anyone applying to the fall 2015 semester and beyond must take and submit scores for either the GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) to be considered for admission to a graduate education program here at SUNY Brockport.
* Additionally, New York State Education Department (NYSED) requires teachers-in-training to complete specific liberal arts core coursework, Pre-Professional Core courses in Adolescent Psychology and Personal Health, and specific workshops prior to student teaching. Contact department for specific advisement.
Students must meet the College's standards for graduate study.
Initial Sequence Courses
- Phase I
- EDI 513 Introduction to Special Education
- EDI 531 Language Skills I
- *EDI 545 Inclusive Middle Level Teaching in English
- Phase II
- EDI 530 Education and Society
- EDI 532 Language Skills II
- *EDI 565 Teaching English Inclusively
- Phase III
- *EDI 514 Methods in Special Education
- EDI 519 Assessment in Special Education
- Phase IV
- **EDI 575 Practicum and Seminar in Inclusive Adolescence Education
- EDI 601 Diversity in Education
- EDI 603 Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- EDI 647 Teaching Adolescence Reading, Writing and Literature
- EDI 678 Issues in English Education
- EDI 791 Seminar in English Education
Total Minimum Total Credits: 48
*Includes Field Experience
**Full time Student Teaching
Students who complete this program are eligible for the College’s recommendation for New York State certification. Program completion and submission of the recommendation form are also required to secure the College’s recommendation. Additional New York state certification requirements must be satisfied to earn certification. Students are advised to consult the Brockport Certification Office for comprehensive information regarding NYSED certification requirements.