Main Page Content

Registration Processes

Chapter IV

Chapter Four Image


The Office of Registration and Records makes available, within published deadlines, the materials and details that concern registration following admission as a matriculated or a non-degree status graduate student. Refer to the SUNY Brockport Web home page at for the most current registration information and semester schedules.

Three methods of registering for courses are available to graduate students:

  • Mail-in Registration
    Graduate students may register by mail for the forthcoming semester. The Office of Registration and Records mails a copy of the Schedule of Classes to all current graduate students. This schedule includes a Graduate Enrollment Form to be completed by the student and returned by the stated deadline. Registrations received after deadlines cannot be processed. When the registration requests have been processed, bills are mailed to the student. Students should pay careful attention to the information included with the Schedule of Classes to avoid late fees and penalties.Students are notified if registration cannot be processed because of closed courses or outstanding obligations that make a student ineligible to register.
  • Touchtone Registration
    Touchtone registration is at your fingertips. Refer to the current semester's Schedule of Classes for Touchtone registration instructions and hours.
  • In-person Registration
    If a graduate student does not register by mail or Touchtone, or if all requested courses are closed when the mail-in registration was received, the student may register in person. Payment of all tuition and fee charges is due at registration if the billing deadline has passed.

Note: Written departmental approval is required before submission of registration materials if the student wishes to register for a closed course.

Students must properly register and pay by the appropriate deadlines for all courses for which they expect to receive credit. Students are cautioned that simply attending classes and completing course requirements does not entitle anyone to register after the deadlines have passed or to claim credit for a course in which s/he has participated as an unregistered or a deregistered student. Students must resolve all problems with registration with the Office of Registration and Records. Questions about payment are handled in the Bursar's Office, (585) 395-2473.

Schedule Adjustments

The student's original registration may be adjusted through procedures described in the Schedule of Classes and on the back of the student's Graduate Enrollment Form. Matriculated students wishing to make a course substitution in their Plan of Study need to fill out a course substitution form and secure advisor approval prior to processing the adjustment with Registration and Records. The student is responsible for making sure adjustments are made accurately and by the appropriate deadlines.

Students should also be aware that schedule adjustments may affect their bills and financial aid status. The Financial Aid Office should be consulted when loans or aid awards are in question.

Schedule adjustments include the following types:

  • Adds
    The instructor's signature is required in order to add any course after final registration. Courses may be added during the first week of a regular semester or during the first three days of a summer session.
  • Late Adds
    Students with unusual circumstances may request faculty permission to late-add courses within dates specified in the Schedule of Classes. Students must obtain a late-add form from the Registrar, obtain the written permission of the instructor and pay the late-add fee at the Bursar's Office before turning the form into the Registrar. Late add deadlines are strictly enforced.
  • Drops

    The drop period for full-semester courses is during the first four weeks of classes. The instructor's permission is not required to drop a course during this time. Courses dropped during the drop period do not appear on the student transcript.

    Drops may be processed using the Touchtone Telephone System, (585) 395-2600; in person at the Office of Registration and Records; through the mail to the Office of Registration and Records, SUNY Brockport, 350 New Campus Drive, Brockport, NY 14420-2966; or by fax at (585) 395-5392. Drops by mail are processed as of the postmark date on the envelope. Drops by fax are processed by the date and time received, and the deadlines are printed in the Schedule of Classes.

    All course drops must be processed by the Office of Registration and Records to be effective. Refunds for dropped courses are processed automatically in amounts indicated by the Refund Policy section of this catalog. The date that the drop was recorded in the Office of Registration and Records is used to calculate the amount to be refunded.

  • Withdrawals
    After the drop deadline, students who can document serious or unusual circumstances may request to leave a course or courses by withdrawal. Withdrawals require both the instructor's and the department chair's permission and must occur prior to the last week of classes. The student must obtain a Withdrawal Form from the Registrar's Office, obtain the required signatures, and return the form to the Registrar's Office. When the completed form is returned to the Office of Registration and Records, a $15 withdrawal fee is assessed and a permanent grade of "W" will be posted on the student's transcript.

Further details on adding, dropping or withdrawing from courses are printed in the Schedule of Classes and on the student's Enrollment Form.

Note: Schedule adjustments become effective only when the appropriate paperwork is received and processed by the Registrar's Office.


Every graduate student who officially registers for and completes a course at SUNY Brockport has an official College transcript which becomes a record of the student's achievements while in attendance. A student may request that his/her transcript be sent to any organization, office or agency by completing a Transcript Request form or by sending a signed letter of request to the Office of Registration and Records. A letter of request must include the student's name (and any former names), Social Security Number, dates of attendance, degrees awarded, and a complete address to which the transcript should be sent. A fee of $5 is paid at the time of request for each transcript requested.

A transcript is sent to the employer/agency/organization as soon as possible, generally within 48 hours of the request. However, during the peak periods it may take up to four weeks for all transcript requests to be honored.

Change of Address or Name

Students should promptly report a change of name, address or Social Security Number in writing to the Office of Registration and Records, SUNY Brockport, 350 New Campus Drive, Brockport, NY 14420-2966. This will ensure receipt of all important graduate mailings (e.g., registration schedule and bulk mailings) and prevent problems that may arise due to an incorrect address. The Office of Registration and Records can be reached at (585) 395-2531 between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

Diplomas are mailed to the address given on the Application for Graduation. Students should note that changing an address on the College records will not automatically change the diploma address. If the diploma address needs to be changed, the student must request it specifically.

Directory Information

Under the provisions of the federal government's "Privacy Rights of Parents and Students" regulations, the College is giving public notice of its intent to publish "directory information" concerning students enrolled during the academic year at SUNY Brockport.

Directory information includes the following data: the student's name, permanent and local address, telephone listing, college, class, major, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of athletic team members, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended by the student.

Students may wish to avoid the release of all such information without their consent by making a request in writing to the Office of Registration and Records, SUNY Brockport, 350 New Campus Drive, Brockport, NY 14420-2966.

Last Updated 7/21/22